2.3.11

deep fried gluten free beer battered onion rings

It seems kind of pointless to write about my fabulous domestic lifestyle when I am back in the same place I was when I started this blog.. living with the boys (homeless) without much of a kitchen and no closet. Most of my pretty things are in storage and I have barely had any energy to think about moving again, although I am looking. But, I do have a shiny new computer and from time to time I try to make some sort of healthy snack, or to feed the boyfriend.. (i have to earn my keep!)

For the superbowl this year one of the roommates bought a deep FRYER. I already had this obsession with frying things
 (see here)

and now I can fry ANYTHING!

I know that deep frying is smelly and greasy and leaves your walls sticky, but let me remind you that it has been THREE years since I have been able to safely enjoy a fried treat.. its been THREE YEARS since I have had an onion ring.

and i LOVE onion rings.
My grandpa ordered me my first onion rings when I was visiting them in Arizona for the first time- i LOVE onion rings.

Bare with me on the photography, i took it with my phone and i was too anxious to eat them to really focus.




Gluten free Beer battered onion rings!
(yeah BEER, BATTERED, GLUTEN FREE! AHHhHH!!!!)
Ingredients:
1 quart peanut oil (or however much is needed to fill your fryer)
2 cup Bob's red mill all purpose gluten free flour
1 bottle gluten free beer (I used red bridge)
2 teaspoons all-purpose seasoning mix
1 teaspoon garlic powder
2 cups buttermilk
2 Vidalia Onions
Kosher salt
Directions:
Pour peanut oil into a dutch oven or other deep frying pan and heat to medium high heat.

Pour buttermilk into a large bowl, then slice onions (about 1 inch thick) into the bowl, mix until all onion slices are coated in butter milk. let sit.

In a large bowl, mix together 1c gluten free flour, seasoning, and garlic powder.

In a second large bowl mix 1c gluten free flour, and the bottle of gluten free beer. whisk together until completely blended

One at a time, take a ring and cover it in the dry flour mixture, shake off excess, then dip into beer mixture. Shake off excess. Dip again in dry mixture, then place into fryer.

If you are looking for perfection the rings should not touch while frying.. they will stuck together into a clump of deliciousness.

If you are more excited about taste than a visual.. go ahead and pile them in.

let them sit in the fryer until golden brown and crispy

set them out to cool and sprinkle salt on them while still hot

WARNING.
if you are like me and haven't had anything deep fried in several years- take it easy on the onion rings, too many will make you sick :(

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh this looks amazing!!! I'll have to try this! Regular fried pickles is another thing on my "to-fry" list! Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete