19.11.10

I'm fried

Growing up, mom had a pretty strict rule in the house when it came to cooking.. "no frying"
frying makes things smelly.
I wasn't really sure what it smelled like, but I knew it was BAD. 

Once, I cooked potatoes in a frying pan.. which I thought = frying.. and i apologized pretty profusely.. only to learn that cooking something in a frying pan doesn't really make it fried.. yeah, I was blonde back then.

So I have never fried anything for fear of a really smell house.

until tonight.





I made mashed potatoes (for the first time) this week. I am still getting the hang of cooking for myself.. see, most recipes are built to serve multiple people, but I mostly cook for myself.. I also have no clue what a pound feels like. So, the recipe called for, uh 3 lbs of potatoes? which i looked up online.. and it said that 3 lbs of potatoes is equal to 9 potatoes. They must have been measuring really small potatoes.
Where  is that helpful scale in the grocery store like they have in Ohio!? those don't exist in NYC.. apparently everyone else here knows what 3 lbs feels like. Or maybe the recipe was made for 40 people.. or thanksgiving dinner, or who knows what. The point is that I made A LOT of potatoes.. maybe a life time's worth. 

I made them on wednesday and I am already sick to death of mashed potatoes.


So tonight, in my exciting NY life, I stayed home on a friday night and FRIED some potatoes.


recipe that I "followed"

Ingredients

  • 2 cups cold mashed potatoes (prepared with milk and butter)
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
  • 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil

Directions

  1. Combine the first four ingredients; mix well. In a small skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add potato mixture; press with a spatula to flatten evenly. Cover and cook for 8 minutes or until bottom is crispy. Invert onto a serving plate.

except, I added about 1/4 cup of multipurpose gluten free flour (Bob's Red Mill All-Purpose Gluten-Free Baking Flour, 22-Ounce Packages (Pack of 4), and 1 tbs of parmesan cheese, and I actually fried them in a lot of oil, not just 1 tbs. Also, when I made the mashed potatoes I mixed goat cheese in.. so that was already added


OH. MY. GOSH.


fried food rocks!!

I forgot how much I enjoy something battered and fried.. everything I eat is going to be fried from now on. I gained 25 lbs tonight and I don't care! YUM!

and hey mom.. MY APARTMENT SMELLS AWESOME!! it smells like french fries and i LOVE IT!

( I am so rebellious) 





No comments:

Post a Comment