8.12.10

Green Chicken

I had a health screening at work last week- I am healthy! Except there is something wrong with me diet that the poor woman couldn’t put a finger on. Although she couldn’t figure out a solution to fix me, she suggested I and eat more olive oil and drink more red wine.. Any doctor who recommends that I drink more is fine by me.

I haven’t been cooking in a few weeks because I’ve been sick, but my regular doctor gave me some super great drugs that cured me, so I resumed domestic chores last night and made myself some extra-oily pesto chicken.


Baked Pesto Chicken

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
salt and fresh ground black pepper for seasoning chicken
1/2 cup basil pesto ( see my recipe for pesto here

1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese



Preheat oven to 375° 

The chicken I selected was already trimmed and pretty thin- so it cooked pretty quickly.

Spray a baking dish with non-stick spray, then spread 1/4 cup basil pesto over the bottom of the dish. Lay chicken strips over the pesto, then spread 1/4 cup more basil pesto over the chicken.

Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and bake the chicken for 20-25 minutes, just until chicken is barely firm and cooked through. (Don't cook too much at this point, or the chicken will be overcooked by the time the cheese is melted and browned.)

When chicken is barely cooked through, remove foil and sprinkle chicken with 1/2 cup grated mozzarella cheese. Put dish back into the oven without foil and cook 5 minutes more, just until cheese is melted. (If your broiler is separate from the oven, start preheating it when you take the chicken out.) After I melted the cheese for 5 minutes I switched my oven to broil and broiled for 5 minutes more, just long enough to get the cheese lightly browned.

I also made some brown rice to soak up the pesto goodness.. Baked pesto cheese is heavenly.

yum - green chicken
sadly my computer wont let me upload my finished product photo... use your imagination :)


Satan thought pesto chicken sounded like a good dinner also

No comments:

Post a Comment