25.1.12

Bug Cookies

I made these sugar cookies for a birthday party this weekend, they aren't gluten free, so I can't eat them, but they are so much fun to make, i love decorating them! When I was a little girl my mom had a cookie decorating birthday party for me and it is still one of my favorite memories.

This is my mom's super secret cut-out cookie recipe

1 c shortening
1 c sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
3 c flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

Blend all ingredients on a low speed.

She is magical and knows how to get the perfect dough texture out of these ingredients, I am not magical, so I usually add a bit of orange juice or pomegranate juice until I get a texture I like.

chill your dough (around an hour-ish)


flour a cookie sheet and roll out dough, about 1/4 inch thick, using cookie cutters (or a glass) cut out your shapes (butterflies!)

and cook for about 7 minutes, until the edges are brown

They are AWESOME.

I use powdered sugar, vanilla, and milk to create my icing, start with a small amount of milk and add until you get your desired consistency, i use a much thicker icing to pipe the outline of my design and add more milk to it for the 'fill' colors.



No comments:

Post a Comment